Electronics-Lab.com Community

Eclipse Head Unit Help

I have an Eclipse CD-8455 head unit that I'm having all kinds of trouble with. Sometimes when you turn the car off it will stay on but is frooze. Sometimes it will shutoff and you can't turn it on, it's like it's unplugged, and this is the second time it has gone into security mode and I can't unlock it without paying $25 each time.

It's out of warranty so Eclipse won't help at all without money for every little thing. They said to send it in at a flat rate or $200 and they will call back if it will cost more. SCREW THAT.

So, I have it all torn apart and down the the pcb. Shouldn't it come out of Security Mode if I clear the cmos? What should I do with this thing? It's a $400 head unit and I've barely used it. So frustrating, like putting $400 through the shredder.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan

Hi Jordan,

There are two possibilities here; one is that this is a crappy player (I have seen others also struggling with diverse problems with this model). Second; the installation is poorly done (unless the car harness has some flaw)!

Well I think the first is more of the issue. I thought it would possibly be the installation myself too. I Thought about how unclean power is in a car and how much the voltage varies. I mean you will see 12.2v and then 14.4v with ranges in between. So I removed the head unit from the car and hooked it up to a clean, stable bench top power supply and it was the same or worse. That's also when it went into the security mode for the second time. I'm not paying eclipse to unlock it either, it's my cd player and they made it so I can't use it? wtf is that?

So, are my options really limited here or what?

Thanks,
Jordan