Electronics-Lab.com Community

Automatic Down All Car Windows

I want to add a circuit to my car windows that will give me the ability to roll down all of my windows with one hit of a button or switch.

Just like the drivers window rolls down by itself if u do a certain thing, i want ALL my windows to do that, with one switch.

any help out there?

The window switching is handled inside the door. Just find the power feed from the switch. You can feed this on a timer since the door circuit will sense a load and nothing will happen if the voltage or switch is activated too long. Note that you will need to tear into all the doors to build this circuit. Once inside, you have the option of building on/off circuits connected to one source or an RF transmitter. RF transmission would be easier in the sense that you would not have to run wiring to all of the doors. Be careful with an RF transmitter, though. You could be driving down the road and some kind of radio noise could cause all of your windows to go down. You will certainly want to incorporate some kind of code circuit and not just an on/off RF signal.

Hope that gives you a few ideas to start.

MP

If the car already has power windows, you can use the wire that is already ran to the driver door. Personally, I would just install another switch, with all the windows in parallel. Then, if you want, you could add a timer so when the button is pressed the windows will roll down on their own.

However you do it, the wires to all the windows should already be in the driver side door.

If the car already has power windows, you can use the wire that is already ran to the driver door. Personally, I would just install another switch, with all the windows in parallel. Then, if you want, you could add a timer so when the button is pressed the windows will roll down on their own.

However you do it, the wires to all the windows should already be in the driver side door.

Yes all i would have to do is tap into the wire that goes to the driver side door. if i was going to wire all of them in parallel, how exactly could I add a timer or some sort of other thing so they all roll down with just one press of a button and not holding of the switch untill they are down.

If all the windows latch to down position on a short impulse it should be easy. Just wire them all together from one switch using a diode in series for each window and the standard wiring won

how exactly could I add a timer or some sort of other thing

One method is to use a transistor as a switch that has the base controlled by a 555 timer used as a monostable. You would calculate the monostable for the amount of time needed. If you are not experienced in this, there are actually 555 timer calculators on the web that will help you. It is also a good way to learn about the calculations with a 555.

MP

Yes all i would have to do is tap into the wire that goes to the driver side door. if i was going to wire all of them in parallel, how exactly could I add a timer or some sort of other thing so they all roll down with just one press of a button and not holding of the switch untill they are down.

hmm... schematics, im not sure. id probably have to buy one of those Hanes manuals or something similar. i think they have schematics in there.

The way my driver side door rolls down is almost like a two position switch. i can hold it down and it is rolling down as i hold it. then if i go to the "second" position, past a certain point with that little window switch it starts to go down automatically. so if i would be able to figure our what kind of a switch that is, get one, run all the windows to that one switch. If i hold it, all windows will roll down an equal amount, and when i go past that certain pointm, it will be automatic. Is that at all possible? is that what you guys are talking about?

i will be ripping into my door pannels to install sound insullation in a couple weeks, i will see how the wires are ran. Maybe i will be able to get the Hanes manual. the car is a 2002 honda civic EX sedan i anyone has ideas on how to find a schematic