Electronics-Lab.com Community

5 second delay System

Hi Clue,
Your computer can do it but it might need a second sound card:
1) Inputs go to your sound card that digitizes the signals.
2) Store the digitized signal in RAM.
3) A second sound card converts it back to stereo audio and you play it with a 5 seconds delay.

One cassette recorder then 5 seconds worth of tape flys through the air to a second cassette player?
Or else you can make your own computer that will do it.

Thanks,
A computer isn't really practical for this operation though.
Its for work, it needs to work if there is no one in the office. We only have lap-tops, they are often taken out to jobs if you know what I mean?

We just wanted a bread board or something set up able to do it at any time, even when there is no one else here.

you know what I mean?

No I don't know what you mean. Nobody is there but stereo sound is playing for the mice or flies to hear. But you don't want them to hear the sound live, you want them to hear the sound with a delay.
You don't say why you have stereo sound playing for nobody to hear it.
You didn't say why you need the delay.

I don't think mice and flies care if the sound is stereo or if it is delayed. They like to hear The Rolling Stones any which way. ;D

"It is for work, it needs to work if there is no one in the office."

It is a riddle. The office has nothing to do with his work so forget about the office that has no one there.
The people in the work place like to hear The Rolling Stones with a 5 seconds delay.
Lie and tell them there is a 5 seconds delay. It will sound like there is a delay and they will be very, very happy. ;D

If there is a video conferencing system being installed somewhere it needs to be tested.
We have a VC system set up in our office, purely for testing purposes.
If there is nobody in the office we want to still be able to test a newly installed VC system.

We can do this by calling the system set up in our office.
The only problem that arrises now is, how can you test the audio if there is no one in the office to talk to you?

So if we set up a 5 second delay, the person who is installing the new system can talk, (so our office can hear it) then 5 seconds later it should be played back in our office, near the Microphones, as if there was someone in our office talking back to us.
This would give the impression of somebody talking to us which means it is possible to test the audio from an installation site even if there is no body in our office.

Hi Clue,
Thanks for the full explanation. No mice.
It is difficult to make a high quality recorder/playback device. You can buy a cheap IC that is made for toys that makes a very distorted and narrowband noise but I think you need something much better.

There is a pretty good delay device that is used for PA systems to avoid acoustical feedback howling from nearby speakers. You record your message then it plays it when you want. I think Bogen made one.

I designed, installed, fixed and upgraded a few video conferencing systems in the early '90s. Microsoft kept changing their operating system (Win 3.0A, Win 3.1, Win NT and Win '95) and my company designed a Mac conferencing unit with a nightmare of a Mac to Win converter. It quickly improved from "jerky vision" to being pretty good.

Hello,

I suggest that for the 5 Sec dalay you can purcahse a processor specifally made for audio delay - they are nice 1U boxes and not quite expensive considering that they can run a couple of effects (gating, compression etc). Can I suggest names of companies in this forum ?? if you want??..

mettula

Hello,

I suggest that for the 5 Sec dalay you can purcahse a processor specifally made for audio delay - they are nice 1U boxes and not quite expensive considering that they can run a couple of effects (gating, compression etc). Can I suggest names of companies in this forum ?? if you want??..

mettula