Electronics-Lab.com Community

Circuit simulation and PCB design software

I'm trying to get ahold of some simulution and PCB design software.  I've used Electronic Workbench Multisim and Ultiboard, but I'm not totally satisfied with it.  The software hangs quite often, and I've had much problems with generating a netlist in Multisim and transferring it to Ultiboard.  Even more problems when I'm using components that I had to create the layout for, myself.

I've heard great stuff about Orcad, but I've never tried it.  Is there some software test avalible online, where they've listed the pros and cons about the different types?  Or do any of you guys (or gals) have any tips?

Hello Bassanova,

I dont believe that multisim is used extensively in industry. For such purposes I believe they use OrCAD. You can request trial versions from:
http://www.cadence.com/orcad/
OrCAD has something called PSIPCE, you design your circuits in orcad capture and simulate them with PSPICE. I prefer orcad to multisim because it provides more in depth analysis technique. But of course with increased functionality, comes complexity.

I use the original spice and make all my circuits by using netlists. It takes extra time, but it is well spent.

Hello Bassanova,

I dont believe that multisim is used extensively in industry. For such purposes I believe they use OrCAD. You can request trial versions from:
http://www.cadence.com/orcad/
OrCAD has something called PSIPCE, you design your circuits in orcad capture and simulate them with PSPICE. I prefer orcad to multisim because it provides more in depth analysis technique. But of course with increased functionality, comes complexity.

I use the original spice and make all my circuits by using netlists. It takes extra time, but it is well spent.

Thanks for the respons!
Yes, you're right about the whole functionality vs. complexity ordeal.  But I think I'll request a trial version, and check it out.

But what program do you use for designing PCB for your various simulated circuits?  And is it easy to use in combination with Orcad (transferring netlist etc.)?

I have downloaded this program and from what I can tell is pretty good. It allows for multi layer PCBs and other functions. As soon a I figure out how to run the dang program ( lol ), I'll tell you how I like it. So far, I don't like it, I really can't figure out how to run it!!
http://pcb.sourceforge.net/