Electronics-Lab.com Community

POWER INVERTER

onix

Onix,
The Inverter project is based on the multivibrator concept. This is also known as a Flip-Flop. In this case, a 2- transistor flip-flop.
You can find many descriptions and discussions of flip-flops on the Internet. The output is a square wave.
This design is not as stable as many more modern digital designs, but I have had other members report that the project worked without problems, too. One thing to watch for is that this type of flip-flop circuit can stall. In such a case, resetting power to it usually brings it back to life.
Hope this answers your questions.

NOTE TO ALL: I have moved discussion of operation of this project to the thread where this discussion was already started. I have also deleted some posts that are in violation with the member agreement and posts which related to them. Please keep posts civil and on track with the original post. You can always start a new thread if you do not want to keep your discussion on-topic with the original post.
Hijacking someone else's thread to discuss a different subject usually ends in deleted or moved posts.

MP

Onix,
The Inverter project is based on the multivibrator concept. This is also known as a Flip-Flop. In this case, a 2- transistor flip-flop.

No, MP.
A flip-flop latches in either state and is different. This circuit is called an astable multivibrator oscillator.

An astable multivibrator oscillator that uses silicon transistors usually needs a supply voltage less than the max reverse-bias voltage rating of the emitter-base junction, about 7V max. Then the transistors won't have avalanche breakdown which causes very high current in the capacitors. High current in backwards polarity capacitors causes them to explode.

You are right on this point AG. The design with the two transistors circuit crossing each other is referred to, by many, as a "Flip Flop", but this is certainly an astable, not bistable and thus does not latch. Flip Flop was probably a poor choice of words.
I think that the "multivibrator concept" in the post was clear in referring to this as an oscillator. I don't think I confused you, Onix, but if so, apologies.

Square Wave Inverter design is always based on a simple principle of a 50 or 60 hz oscillator of some sort connected to a step-up transformer.

MP