Electronics-Lab.com Community

Once a Student, Now a Teacher (of sorts)

Relayer

Consider this my intro message, also.

I can't believe I never knew of this site before. Lots of useful information.

I've been a hobbyist in electronics since I got my first Radio Shack AM Broadcasting kit on Halloween 1977. I went to school for electronics, but I'm a computer programmer by trade. I haven't really been into the hobby since Radio Shack stopped giving out free catalogs. At the time, it was so cool to see the new parts in the new catalogs and dream of exciting projects to design with them.

Anyhow, back to the subject matter. I'm a 40 year old man with an 8 year old son that wants (but doesn't realize that Santa already got him) a Snap Kits 750 Project kit. Regardless of any good or bad opinions of Snap Kits, I found them better than the spring loaded project kits I grew up with. I think he will benefit greatly from the snap kit concept.

My son has an aptitude for technical things, which is good. He just doesn't know what to do with that ability. So, as a parent, it's my job to encourage and guide him. And if he likes the appeal of hobby electronics, so much the better. At least I may not have to tinker alone.

As long as he still likes to sponge up knowledge, I want to teach him first the basics, and then continue to more advanced electronic concepts. I know the project book in Snap Kits give empirical theories of operation. I plan on explaining each circuit a little more in-depth, like with test measurements and math (another aptitude of his), etc. It's one thing to see a light light up, but knowing why it's lit up, or why a resister has to be where it is, etc. is a fundamental requirement if one is to grow in this hobby. In fact, "Santa" also got him his own little multimeter. I'm not trying to make him an electronics wizard. I'll take it as far as he feels like going, but I won't sugar coat a lot of it. I'll keep the "There's a whole bunch of little magic electrons running around" phrases to a bare minimum.

Now that I recently acquired more room for the hobby, I'm getting back to electronics. However, I'm at the next level (for me) and starting to work with PIC chips and such. Eventually, I hope my son would learn more and be able to help me design electronic stuff. I figure that our first collaborative project will involve robotic concepts. Maybe even a small design for a single purpose. I know there are many tiny robot projects out there, but I can add to the list if I want.  :)

Can anybody recommend some online resources (present site already considered) where I can pull up references to use as a "teacher's guide" as I explain things to my son? I'm aware of 101science.com. There are many out there, I suppose. Which ones work well as a step-by-step guide? I guess I'm actually looking for something more like a syllabus.

Anyway, expect to see more of me on here. Probably with questions, but maybe to brush off my dusty memory and offer some advice. Even if my son decides electronics is not for him, I'll still be working on my own projects.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the forum!
My personal suggestion would be to buy him a soldering iron and a bread board kit. At this age, he will probably outgrow the snapkits very fast.
For microcontrollers, you could start with the AVR line and a free Basic compiler named "Bascom AVR" from www.mcselec.com
Bascom uses a language and IDE that is very close to the visual basic IDE. It will also give him familiarity with VB later on. The AVR can be programmed over and over again in the circuit it was designed in. This is a lot nicer than purchasing a programmer to burn the hex code into the micro. The trick to teaching micros to young students is to include displays, LEDs or sounds into a simple project.

Good luck!

MP

For microcontrollers, you could start with the AVR line and a free Basic compiler named "Bascom AVR" from www.mcselec.com

I'll have to look into AVR uC. I started working with PIC because I saw one in a consumer device and was curious about them. Besides, I found MicroChip's free sample page first  :)  Although, I do like the "universal" aspect of the AVR chips. It's my observation that PIC chips need to be spec'd out a little more before deciding on one. The AVR's (according to my little bit of research) are nice when you want to use the same source code, but easily expand or reduce the number of I/O ports in a project simply by switching chips.