Electronics-Lab.com Community

satellite speaker problem

helow guys

i already posted this problem on choosing the best amplifier for my two sony satellite speaker model ss-rs158v rated impedance of 6 ohms.... my problem is how to connect the two with my stereo amplifier... audioguru told me to use a crossover circuit to avoid bass in entering my speaker..... it would be a great help if someone could tell me how to connect it together...... thanks in advance...  ;D

Hi John,
I wish you continued on the other thread instead of making this new thread. I reviewed the other thread and it talked about our "22W" amplifier project. With a 12V supply each 6 ohm speaker will get 6.5W but they are small so bass might break them.

You need a crossover circuit and a woofer with its own amplifier. A woofer size of 6" to 8" and an amplifier for it of 20w to 40W will sound good.

The power is low so a very simple crossover circuit can remove the bass from the little satellite speakers and remove the high audio frequencies from the woofer speaker. Separate amplifiers are used so the filters can be part of the amplifiers.

Here is a pretty good crossover circuit project:
http://www.sound.westhost.com/project81.htm

I couldn't find spec's for the Sony satellite speaker system in Google, but I suspect that it uses a separate amplifier for its sub-woofer with a lowpass filter, and a stereo amplifier for the satellite speakers with a highpass filter that uses small capacitor values. Then the satellite speakers don't have large value capacitors as an internal filter.

John needs to duplicate the original Sony amplifiers, filters and woofer.

• 4 weeks later...

hi audio guru,

do I have to connect my two satellite speakers to the tweeter output??? what will happen if i do that?

johnc

Each satellite speaker needs a highpass filter part of a crossover network connected to a power amplifier. Maybe the satellite speakers have a highpass filter built-in.

Then the satellite speakers will play the middle and high frequencies.
A woofer or two need their own lowpass filter part of a crossover network and a power amplifier or two. Then they will play the bass frequencies.

i see now. by reading some materials and some of you're ideas it is now clearer to me. what you've given is a active crossover which uses op amps to drive the speakers and I also seen a project in this site a two way crossover but it is a passive one or the a simple one because it only uses caps, resistors and inductors.. correct me if i'm wrong...  :)

does the project here (two way crossover) can be use in stereo amp?

what you've given is a active crossover which uses op amps to drive the speakers

No, an active filter using opamps does not have power. It drives a power amplifier.

I also seen a project in this site a two way crossover but it is a passive one or the a simple one because it only uses caps, resistors and inductors.

The passive crossover project here has an error with the phase of the wooofer and tweeter that results in a deep notch at the crossover frequency. I switched the phase of the tweeter to correct it. It is designed for a real 8 ohm tweeter but might work with your satellite speaker and a woofer.

does the project here (two way crossover) can be use in stereo amp?

The crossover circuit is for a single two-way speaker. Two circuits driven by a stereo amplifier are needed for stereo.

Aw... hehe... thanks for correcting me. I'll try to review my audio electronics basic :(

I think the project is quite expensive and I think troublesome in my part. I've been studying Communication Electronics but when I shifted computer my focus turned into it.

But I think I'll give it a try and try to post with my finish pic...  :)

I asked about this project because I want my extra sony speaker to be connected into my computer..... to really enjoy the sounds without buying new stereo speakers...

thanks a lot

;)