Electronics-Lab.com Community

NEED HELP IN A BAD WAY.... LED PROJECT

is there a chip out there to drive 7 -10 leds that will count pulses from a 555 and hold the lights on until the last pulse and restart? working on a project for school and having trouble finding the right chip to make the project do what my instructor is asking for. tried a 3915 with a capacitor to make the same effect but he would like to see if i can find something drive by a 555.  PLEASE HELP.

I don't know about a single chip apart from a micro. Discrete it could be done with a row of D-type flip-flops wired as serial-in-serial-out (SISO) shift register and clocked by the 555. You may also use 2X 8bit shift register chips with the proper feedback after 10 stages.

post-9230-14279143286539_thumb.jpg

Sounds similar to a project I did for GCSE. I had the 555 clock a 4017 decade counter. Each output was connected to a thyristor that turned an LED on. Thus after 10 pulses, all the LEDs were on. It's not the ideal solution, because it requires 10 discrete thyristors, but it worked.

Hmmm... can't remember how I got round that... perhaps it wasn't an issue, not sure - it was a good few years ago!

But there must be a way around that problem. The last 4017 output could be used to turn on a PNP transistor to switch the SCR power on. When that output goes high, the transistors turn off and the SCRs reset. Again, it's not elegant (you only get 9 outputs), but it probably works.

• 2 weeks later...

is there a chip out there to drive 7 -10 leds that will count pulses from a 555 and hold the lights on until the last pulse and restart? working on a project for school and having trouble finding the right chip to make the project do what my instructor is asking for. tried a 3915 with a capacitor to make the same effect but he would like to see if i can find something drive by a 555.  PLEASE HELP.

Hmm... why not use a simple decade counter? and instead of using an LED, re-route the output to keep the appropriate led's on in order from 0-9?
Here is a simple circuit here, but just try to think on how to 'convert' it... ;-)
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/counter.htm
I will leave that part up to you :-D it is a very simple circuit and ready to take a pulse from a 555 timer too. just remember to keep your voltages within limits.