Electronics-Lab.com Community

Video Distribution Amplifier

Hello. I am wanting to build a video distribution amplifier so that I can send the composite video signal from a single Camera to multiple TVs or devices. Radio shack has their video amplifier for $50 bucks or so but I need one for each of my 8 cameras and that will get to expensive. I discovered the Maxim MAX4136 IC which is just what I am looking for. It's an IC with 1 video input and 4 outputs. It looks to require just a few discrete components. The application notes detail how best to design the circuit board to keep noise to a minimum. My question is, do I really need to use a circuit board? The IC is surface mount if that matters. There are not really that many connections and a circuit board just seems to be a waste of time for my DIY project. I plan to mount it inside of a metal project box and run wires directly from the IC leads to each RCA video output jack. The wires should be no longer than 1.5 inches. Has anyone ever had any experience doing this sort of thing. Am I just creating a video noise box here or what?

Use of a circuit board allows you to have a ground plane on one side. This will help keep noise to a minimum since all of your traces will be as close to the ground plane as the thickness of the board. If you can't get or make a circuit board, you can attach copper foil to both sides of a blank perf board with spray adhesive, draw out your circuit, cut out the unneeded parts, and push the leads through the foil where a hole exists. Instant circuit board, almost.

MP

Thank you for the reply. If it will help I will make a circuit board for this project. Can you explain the ground plane in a little more detail? I don't really understand it. I can't leave one side of the board unetched can I? My traces will be on the bottom. I don't need any traces on top. What does the ground plane consist of? The more I type the more questions I have.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,
Whichever side of the board you are not using for traces, can be left unetched, (except for places where the through hole components come through it. Otherwise, everything would be connected to ground). Just etch around these holes so that the components do not touch the ground plane except places where you want to connect to the ground plane.

MP