Electronics-Lab.com Community

request PCb' standard!

we often use library of an EDA software,but i don't like it,because it's not good for hand-made PCB

so i design a new one,i'm using orcad layout plus

now,any body can tell me your experience?
-what padshape is good?(round,oblong,regtangular,oval...)
-how width,how height of the pad is enough ?

please help me! (and please don't ask me "don't design it!" because i still want to design it  ;D )

• 2 weeks later...

The size of the pad will be mostly determined by the package and the hole size. You will have to figure this one out. If you want to have a 5 mil ring for solder, you have to add 10 mil to the size of the hole that will be used. This is the pad size.

As a standard, through hole pads are round with exception to pin #1 on ICs and headers. Pin #1 is denoted with a square pad in these cases. Many programs will give you an option to use an oval pad. This is just a design preference that makes manual soldering a little easier.
Since surface mount chips have pins so close together, you will usually see a rectangular pad in these designs. This allows you more solder surface without getting too close to the next pin.

hope this helps you.

MP

• 3 months later...