Electronics-Lab.com Community

Component symbol... CRT's PCB

OutofTown

There is a burned out part on my monitor's (CRT) large PCB... It looks like a large Junior Mint (American candy) with 2 leads coming from it, on the PCB is printed R802 and on the component is printer 120 with 7107 below that and another (burned up) unreadable number below that... the symbol under the component printed on the PCB is a backwards Z with serifs? on the ends of the Z...

any ideas what I'm looking at? can't find that symbol anywhere online...

any idea if replacing this kind of component will likely bring my monitor back to life?  it was dying all afternoon with the monitor in standby mode but we couldnt detect where the odor was coming from, we were using the monitor when it failed the component smoked a few minutes and ruptured before the monitor went black...  the PCB has one lead to this component from it that has browned the board a bit and that lead is now loose in the PCB...

thanks

I have tried the web with no success, where else can i search for the schematic?

thanks

Hi, did you remove the part and checked for its resistance, it may be 120ohm 20 watt resistor and used in the EHT section to generate the exrra high tension voltages.. If this is bad by a dry joint at the pcb you can mount it back it should work-- if the component burnt at the middle and blasted-- i suspect a pwer transistor with a heatsink should be also faulty--

Sarma

I found this info:

"Viewsonic 1769gs-2 monitor FCC gss17005 has no hi-voltage.  Fbt, hot, etc seem ok.  Replaced lm-2931 & 74hc00 on the aux. board.  All ps voltages ok"
"If the HV builds and collapses, and everything else is ok, then you may have a shorted transistor on the CRT socket board.  Try desoldering the RGB cathodes at the CRT socket and see if the HV builds and holds."

• 1 month later...

I think that is a symbol for a MOV, metal oxide varistor.  It is a safety device designed to clamp the voltage to a specific value.  In your case, probably to prevent higher than normal voltage getting to the CRT elements--possibly the screen circuit (the screen is one of the grids of the CRT--it does not mean the face of the monitor).
If this part is burned up, it may be impossible to guess what value it would be.  Only the manufacturer would be able to help.