Electronics-Lab.com Community

Question: Can computer burn your house down?

Skipy

Guy A claims that I must not leave my computer turned on overnight, as a friend of his did that one time and his house burnt down because of it.

Question: If I leave my computer on for days and days, can it cause a fire at some point, and if so, under what circumstances? Take into consideration even the extremes, but also note that there is no living being next to it at any time.

I'm not an expert in electronics but my common sense and the years of leaving my computer on 24/7 without any misshaps makes me think such thing is at most as possible as a meteor hitting the earth.

Thanks in advance

Anything that is electrical can cause a fire, but it would be unlikely.
There are some parts in a pc that could fail which would cause a current through another part that causes too much heat. Then the part could catch on fire and set other nearby parts or plastic things on fire.
Get homeowner's insurance.

The odds of having a fire caused by a pc are probably better than the remote chance of a meteor hitting the earth.
No, the earth is huge and nobody knows when a meteor hits way up North or in the ocean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

first of all, make sure of these few things
- you have a quality power supply
- your power cables are in good condition and are plugged in tight
- you have a RCD = residual current device (safety switch) or a GFCI for americans whether it be at the switchboard of your house or as a plug adaptor DO NOT LOOK PAST THESE DEVICES THEY SAVE LIVES.
- you have a reputable surge protector, as excessive surge current passing through a computer will do more than fry it, it will create excessive heat that can start a fire
- you keep the computer clean of dust and all fans are working
- you have good ventilation space around the computer
- you turn the monitor OFF, not let it go into standby when not using the computer and that the monitor is free of dust

personally i dont leave my computer on at night as there is no need, the only thing i leave on is my DSL modem (which i had to permanently fix on cos the switch broke and most modems dont have a switch anyway)

but if you are going away for a length of time and the house is going to be empty, do what i do - UNPLUG THE LOT

-ben

Guy A claims that I must not leave my computer turned on overnight, as a friend of his did that one time and his house burnt down because of it.

Question: If I leave my computer on for days and days, can it cause a fire at some point, and if so, under what circumstances? Take into consideration even the extremes, but also note that there is no living being next to it at any time.

I'm not an expert in electronics but my common sense and the years of leaving my computer on 24/7 without any misshaps makes me think such thing is at most as possible as a meteor hitting the earth.

Thanks in advance

Please accept the truth-- any malfunctioning equipment -- need not be electronics or computer related-- CAN BURN A HOUSE DOWN--

FOR EXAMPLE

GAS STOVE WITH LEAKING HOSE or with a forgotten open valve
STOCKED ETHENOL OR PETROL IN NON-STANDARD FASION
UNCHECKED ELECTRICALL HEAVY DUTY SOCKETS AND APPLIANCES
HALFBURNT RAGS LEFTOVER.... THE LIST IS ENDLESS.
a bottle with alcahol  leftover

we do require caution

Sarma

hi,
I would recommend that if any electrical appliance can be switched OFF, it should be switched OFF, whenever, the premises where the equipment is located are unoccupied.

Obviously certain equipments have to be powered ON so that they can give a 24/7 service.

The important aspects of energy conservation and global warming should be remembered when operating equipment 24/7.