Electronics-Lab.com Community

Help with circuit for custom guitar amp switching

Hi all, I'm a real noob when it comes to electronics so I can't work out how to do this.  I have a guitar amp with a 4 channel footswitch running off a 15 pin computer style plug.  I have a separate effects processor with an amp control switch.  This amp control utilizes a 1/4" mono audio plug to operate and has two settings, open circuit or shorted.  I need this to be able to switch between the clean and OD2 channels of the amp, the other one and the amps effects doesnt matter.  I'm not good at writing schematics so I've drawn a diagram of how the unit is wired.  Is anyone able to tell me how to make a small circuit to get this to work.  Thankyou very much in advance, if you have any questions about any of it ask and i'll answer best I can. 

Can you give a better explanation of the circuit? What is on the unconnected pins of the round plugs? What signal is on the different colors of wire? Which two pins of the round plugs are shorted when you connect a foot switch and switch it on?

MP

Hi MP, thankyou very much for your reply.  There is nothing on the unconnected pins of the round plugs.  I'm not sure about the signal on the different colors of wire, if you explain the right way to test it to tell you what you need I'll come back to you on it.  With the pedal open I can short and successfully change between OD2 and clean channels by shorting the yellow and the orange for the clean channel, and the green and red that connect to the od2 switch.  I short these by putting a screwdriver touching both wires at the 15 pin plug end.  I've tried shorting using just these 4 wires on a 15 pin plug but it doesnt work right, it needs the circuit that links between the switches (burgundy wire), that eventually returns to the 15 pin plug via the light blue wire.  I'll help you help me if you explain how to answer other specific questions as I've just decided to start working on electrical projects. 

I wouldn't want to make any guesses since I do not know what is on the other side of the plug. In other words, without seeing the schematic of how this is wired up in the amp, there are too many variables. With a schematic, you could make a very elaborate switching control.
If you just want a switch that will allow you to short yellow to orange in one positon and red to green in the other position, you can use a 4016 cmos switch IC to do this. You will need to add a few components to keep the switching action from popping. However, this is simple to do. Let me know if this is what you are wanting to achieve.

MP

yes that's what i want it to do, ie if the 6.5" jack get's shorted by the effects unit it will short yellow and orange, and if the 6.5 circuit is open it shorts red to green.  it does seem to need the burgundy to light blue circuit in tact also to work, and I'm not sure what the capacitor does.  The other thing to consider is that the existing pedal creates momuntary shorts, not constand ones.

I'm a little confused here again on your description. Where are the momentaries and where are the constants? If which two contacts are shorted, where does it cause a constant connection? Are you saying, for example, that the pedal makes a momentary short on the yellow to orange or are you saying that a momentary short or press of the pedal causes a constant connection of the yellow to orange?
If a momentary press of the pedal makes a constant connection between yellow and orange, then there is most likely a cmos latching circuit in the pedal. If you mean a momentary short between yellow and orange, for example, makes something happen, then there is a latching circuit in the amp. If this is the case, it is a little more difficult because you do not know what you are connecting to.
Let me know which it is. I assume you want to duplicate the original pedal?

MP