Electronics-Lab.com Community

Speaker help please

D0T-C0M

I have a sony CDX-GT310 in my toyota pickup. It puts out 4x55w in 4 ohms.  I have just have cheap 2-way speakers installed in the front and back. I got 6"round 120W in the back and 4" round 2-way 90W in the front under the dash almost.

I know its a cheap system but it sounds ok except I find the higher freq sound is muffled in the front but sounds ok in the rear.  I would like to obtain more treble sounds from the front to try to equalize the sound a bit.  I was thinking of adding a tweeter in each door by paralleling the front speakers but I'm concerned with the impedance.

I guess the question i have is if I disconnect the existing tweeter in my front 2-way speakers, will that allow me to connect my door tweeters in parallel with the front speakers and return the impedance back to the original value?  Also at what frequency do you recommend I crossover at?

What other methods could I use that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm looking to spend no more than $100 to try to equalize the higher mid range and tremble frequencies.

thanks in advance.

Hi Dot-com,
I wondered, "55W per channel? How do dey do dat??"
In Google it is 17Watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms. That might be with 10% distortion because it is turned up too loud, and with the battery overcharging at 14.4V.
It is probably only 15Watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms at clipping with a 13.8V supply.
Or it is 55 Whats per channel?

Disconnect the tweeters in the front speakers and connect good new tweeters in parallel. A lot of car speakers are garbage so get good name-brand ones. They should come with a crossover capacitor attached.

Hi audioguru

Yes its here's the link for the specs. It does say 4 x 50 W S-MOSFET power output but its probably peak watts.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1003305&navigationPath=n32150n32153

At what frequency should I crossover my tweeters at? I have the choice from the supplier. Also what brands are considered good brands when it comes to tweeters?

I would really love to install new speakers but I am really limited to in the choice of speakers I can use due to the limited space I have in my truck.

I never bought separate car tweeters.
Get dome tweeters with a 3/4 inch diameter dome (not just an old  cheap paper cone) with magnets. Piezo tweeters sound terrible and are just whistles.
If the crossover network has an inductor and a capacitor or two inductors and a capacitor then a 3kHz crossover frequency is safe. If it is just a capacitor then 5kHz might be OK.

The marketing departments of car radio amplifier manufacturers are full of liars. The output of your car radio is at most, only 17 Watts per channel. It is probably 15 Watts per channel at clipping with a reasonable battery voltage.

Ok so are these tweeters here going to do me justice?

Pioneer Tune-Up Tweeter

* 7/8" PPTA (P-Phenylene Terephthal Amide) Hard Dome
    * Strontium Magnet with Magnetic Fluid Cooling
    * Built-in Crossover (6 dB/Octave)
    * Surface or Flush Mounting Capabilities
    * Overall Housing Diameter: 1 7/8"
    * Flush Mounting Depth: 3/4"

* Tweeter Type: PPTA Hard Dome
    * Size: 7/8 inch
    * Crossover Included: yes
    * Sensitivity: 90 dB
    * Frequency Response: 2,500-30,000 Hz
    * Recommended RMS Power: 40W
    * Peak Power Handling: 120W

Your 6" rear speakers are too small for bass, so get a 10" sub in a pretty big enclosure (made for pickups) and use the Pioneer amplifier connected bridged for 160 real Watts.

I hope the Sony car radio has an output for a subwoofer amplifier.

There aren't any spec's for those tweeters. Go to a dealer to hear them.