Electronics-Lab.com Community

HiFi voltage etc..

leedude

what are the common voltages(rms and peak) used in the following cases.

hifi equipment(like CD player) phono outputs
guitar pickup output
amp to speaker(say an 8 ohm imp.)

also, what is the highest voltage you can put into the input of a guitar amp without blowing up transistors.(specifically the marshall mg30dfx)

also, is there a place i can get some kind of subminiature valve(vacuum tube) which has a super low anode voltage like 24V. I saw these russian ones on the internet, but cant find anywhere to buy them.

what are the common voltages(rms and peak) used in the following cases.

hifi equipment(like CD player) phono outputs

A CD player has an output of about 200mV RMS/283mV peak when it is playing very loud.

guitar pickup output

If a guitar pickup is loaded with 1M ohms and is played very loud then its output will be about 1V RMS/1.4V peak.

amp to speaker(say an 8 ohm imp.

Calculate it. 1W into 8 ohms is 2.8V RMS/4V peak. 10W into 8 ohms is 9V RMS/12.7V peak. 100W into 8 ohms is 28V RMS/39.6V peak. 1kW into 8 ohms is 90V RMS/127V peak.

also, what is the highest voltage you can put into the input of a guitar amp without blowing up transistors.(specifically the marshall mg30dfx)

Dunno, maybe a few volts.

thanks loads, really needed that.

amp to speaker(say an 8 ohm imp.
Calculate it. 1W into 8 ohms is 2.8V RMS/4V peak. 10W into 8 ohms is 9V RMS/12.7V peak. 100W into 8 ohms is 28V RMS/39.6V peak. 1kW into 8 ohms is 90V RMS/127V peak.

should have worked that out myself.