Electronics-Lab.com Community

White noise generator for mp3 players/ipod

Hi all,
I'm looking for something that can transmit white noise to an active mp3 player/ipod.
Low power, just a range of <5m should do it.

I guess the earphones/earbuds lead/cable would be pretty good at picking up a transmission of white noise, just like an antenna cable.

Any ideas or anyone know of off-the-shelf products?

I'm not sure I understand the full question.  Do you want to generate a white noise audio file to listen to?  If so there are two complications that I am aware of.

First, MP3 compression works so well at saving resources by the use of "psychacoustics", which in less BS laden language means that it maps the loudest tones and their intensities.  Upon playback, the tones are regenerated and mixed- the higher bitrate the more tones.  White noise (or pink for that matter) contains a broader range of frequencies (theoretically infinite) than music, and their duration is very short so MP3 compression artifacts are no longer transparent.

Second, the way computers usually generate random numbers may not be good enough for white noise.  It may be good enough for dealing cards or rolling dice in a game, but our hearing is a bit more demanding.  Any repetitive theme that happens at audible frequencies will be immediately noticed.  The generation of pseudorandom bits with a slow repetition rate is not difficult.

very intresting in fact i once saw a movie on dvd some time ago called white niose and the man listens to it and he picks up vioce comunications through the white niose even on the tv  i listen to white niose through my gravity wave detectors, which i posted in the forums here before , and ive allso been useing the expstudio audio editor to record them with, the studio audio editor can be downloaded free from the net, this has a range of filters you can use to filter what you receave through my gravity wave detectors and there is one signal that im waiting to record but so far its been comeing in when i havent got my gravity wave detector set up to the pc with the expstudio audio editor runing but while monitoring the white niose bband as i call it i have receaved  an extra loud short bursts of white niose comeing over the low  sounding white niose band a few times and find this very strange