Electronics-Lab.com Community

12v to 230 volts dc with voltage doubler circuit its possible?

Jani-Jan

hi,
You say that you want to power a PC from the output?

This will mean, if you are using a standard 'desktop' PC it will have to be 230Vac at 50/60HZ.

Its possible to buy a +12Vdc to Mains invertor, rated at say 300Watts, that will drive a PC.

The circuits you have posted are for doubling, with a Vdc output.

thanks for answer me sir
actually  i want to make a simple and good inverter.
if i use 10000uf then?
so i have a idea so i ask now all clear.

one thing more to ask...
here in my country i see many inverter 12v dc to 220v ac
its built here localy .  battry charging system  i dont know how to make  same transformer charge the battrey, i dont know how?
if any solution there i need...

hi,
You say that you want to power a PC from the output?

This will mean, if you are using a standard 'desktop' PC it will have to be 230Vac at 50/60HZ.

Its possible to buy a +12Vdc to Mains invertor, rated at say 300Watts, that will drive a PC.

The circuits you have posted are for doubling, with a Vdc output.

thanks for attend me
dear as i know computer's power supply can be run by dc :)
its tested by me
u can oprate tv dvd all which are  switch mode power supply with out transformer.

becaue ac direct to convert dc inside. 
now think on it again.
br

• 1 month later...

I agree with audioguru, a non-transformer method for an inverter is basically for lower current devices.
Although, i provided a link below that will convert 12VDC- 230VAC (300W) i am skeptical as to the longevity of the inverter along with what may occur in the event of a sag...

http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/DC_to_AC_Power_Inverters.html

Circuit below:

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/inverter.asp

Final note:

Use precaution with the above circuit and read the directions provided with the project!  :o

The author's forum nas hundreds of complaints about this lousy inverter:
1) Its capacitors are backwards so they blow up!
2) The transistors have an absolute max reverse emitter-base voltage rating of only 7V but when this circuit supplies them with 12V then the emitter-base junctions have avalanche breakdown which creates a very high current in the capacitors and wastes the little amount of power available.
3) The base current of the transistors is way too low. The output power is at a reduced voltage and is only about 25W.

The text says to use more powerful transistors or a more powerful transformer for more power output. They won't make any difference.

The author's forum nas hundreds of complaints about this lousy inverter:
1) Its capacitors are backwards so they blow up!
2) The transistors have an absolute max reverse emitter-base voltage rating of only 7V but when this circuit supplies them with 12V then the emitter-base junctions have avalanche breakdown which creates a very high current in the capacitors and wastes the little amount of power available.
3) The base current of the transistors is way too low. The output power is at a reduced voltage and is only about 25W.

The text says to use more powerful transistors or a more powerful transformer for more power output. They won't make any difference.

Final note:

Use precaution with the above circuit and read the directions provided with the project!

I agree the circuit requires a bit of changes but to a certain extent it may provide some information.
Truthfully, i would purchase a manufactured inverter for safety along with warranty etc...

• 2 years later...

I picked up a 400W 12v to 240v inverter from Kmart (Aust.) for $30 AUD. It has a fan and a bunch of MOSFETs along with the usual transformers & capacitors. It works well and if it breaks down I refund it. I couldn't buy the parts separately and build one myself for that price. It's clean enough to run a PC from...

• 1 year later...

hi!!! audioguro, i need some help of yours, i want to build an in inverter from 5vdc to 45vac can u help me. plsease :)

Since you provided no details about how much power and what waveform are required then I don't think you know anything about an inverter circuit.
Why only 45VAC? 

• 1 year later...
Guest alyna

The circuit diagram of a very simple voltage doubler using NE555 timer is shown here. Here IC NE555 is wired as an astable mutivibrator operating at around 9KHz. The base of the two transistors (Q1 and Q2) is shorted and output of the astable multivibrator (pin 3) is connected to it. When the output of astable multivibrator is low, Q1 will be OFF and Q2 will be ON. The negative terminal of the capacitor C3 will be shorted to ground through T2 and it will be charged to the input supply voltage. When the output of the astable multi vibrator is high, transistor Q1 will be ON and transistor Q2 will be OFF. The capacitor C4 will be charged to the voltage across capacitor C3 plus the input supply voltage (that is double the input voltage). This is how the circuit works.

This voltage doubler circuit can deliver only up to 50mA output current and above that current limit the output voltage will be dramatically reduced. The actual output voltage will be around 19V for a 12V DC input and also the output voltage will be a bit unstable. Anyway, for low current applications this circuit is well enough.

You can combine numerous electrolytic capacitors and achieve a very high current. The NE555 timer can be used or another IC or circuit.

No you can't achieve a very high current. Regardless of the capacitors used, the 555's maximum output current is 200mA, which limits the maximum current from the circuit to 100mA, at which point there will be a large voltage drop.

You can't mean a high current voltage multiplier can't be designed from an oscillator. Many high power oscillators use low power oscillators which again get power gain. You can't use electrolytic capacitors because their voltage rating is too low. The inverter designed using a voltage multiplier will have the AC composite and the NE555 timer will need to be decoupled so that the other voltage mutiplier can produce the negative cycle. The two circuits can be switched on and off at 60Hz.