Electronics-Lab.com Community

crystal oscillator transmitter

after having a very unsuccessful time with FM transmitters using "wire" inductors and tunning capacitors, i am turning to crystal oscillators,

so can any one tell me whether a crystal oscillator can be used for audio transmission like an FM transmitter? i have 2 crystal oscillators of 27.xxxMHz from an R/C toy, so is frequency the only difference or there are other draw backs?? and why are there not many audio transmissions on low frequency?

too many question ehh, can you help out???
thanks

Hi Aimans,
You cannot change the frequency of a crystal oscillator very much. Then you cannot have wideband FM.

But you can use a low frequency crystal oscillator that has its frequency changed a tiny amount, then multiply its frequency many times to end up with wideband FM at 100MHz.
You could also use a crystal oscillator in a phase-locked-loop circuit and change its frequency. The PLL has a frequency divider that multiplies its frequency.

ROHM makes a few FM stereo transmitter ICs that use a 7.6MHz crystal in a frequency synthesizer circuit. Most of the little MP3 to car radio transmitters use it.
Here are links to an FM transmitter that uses their simplest IC:
http://electronics-diy.com/schematics/BH1417_fm_transmitter.htm
http://electronics-diy.com/BH1417_PLL_Stereo_FM_Transmitter.php

the circuits you have linked are really good but i do not think i can construct them. most of the vital parts are not available here, like the FET and ZMV833ATA, and most probably not even the BH1417 ic,

so cant i jsut replace the oscillator part of a regular FM transmitter and replace it with the crystal oscillator?

so cant i just replace the oscillator part of a regular FM transmitter and replace it with the crystal oscillator?

No. An FM transmitter changes its frequency with modulation. A crystal oscillator's frequency can be changed only a tiny amount so the received demodulated signal would be extremely weak.

Take a 1.3889MHz crystal oscillator and modulate its frequency with a max deviation of 1kHz. Then use two frequency triplers and three frequency doublers to end up with 100MHz with a max deviation of 72kHz like an FM radio station.

Or you can use a phase-locked-loop circuit like this: