Electronics-Lab.com Community

New Project/Questions

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new at all of this, I've done tons of computer work, alot of general electrical work, and a little electrical components work.  I'm trying to learn, and I've always felt the best way to learn is to actually solve a problem.

Here's what I'm up against...  I need to control some water valves, based on particular input specifications.

I have a IDEC Microsmart PLC, actual part number is FC4A-C24R2.  For those not familiar with it, Inputs are 24VDC, power to it is 110-240VAC, outputs seem to be 110VAC as well.

I have no problems programming the unit, and no problems with the input side.  My problems seem to come in when I begin thinking about the output side.

I'm needing to switch some 24VAC water valves, based on what is happening at certain inputs. 

I have a couple ideas, I just want to throw them out and see what you guys think and maybe you can direct me in the correct direction.

Idea #1) On the output side of the PLC, each section of outputs, has a common port where they get their power from.  What if I just supply 24VAC to the common port, then each of the output ports should in essence only put out 24VAC.  Right?  Maybe I am incorrect about this, please correct me if I am wrong.

Idea #2) Do they make relays that are switched by 110VAC and actually switch 24VAC?  If so, then I can use this type relay to do the switching I need.

I appreciate any help you can give me, and I am willing to follow anyone's direction on figuring this out.

Thank you in advance, and I hope to learn alot.
-David

I agree...a relay is your best bet there and you can get a relay in pretty much any configuration you need too...  Main thing is make sure your contacts are rated for your load...if you have too great of load on contacts that can't handle it....you will have a melted relay....

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.  I figured a relay is what I needed, my main thought/concern was that the outputs are 110/120VAC, and my devices are 24VAC.  So I wasn't sure if there was a relay like that, that used 110VAC to signal and switch 24VAC on/off.

-David