Electronics-Lab.com Community

Re: Lead acid battery charger

Trickle charging should be set to maintain the charge, not add to it. As someone else mentioned, its generally around 1 to 2 % of the capacity.
If the trickle charge is set too high, a lead acid battery will start to gas.....no matter what type of lead acid it is, this should be avoided.
In fact, it is better if the trickle charge is set too low and the battery loses a little of its charge.....
Trickle and normal charging are also affected by the temperature of the battery, a higher temp indicates that a smaller charge should be used....
Its also affected by the style and age of the battery, the older a battery gets, the higher the charge needed to maintain the charge.....
With Gel batteries, one should follow all of the manufacturers recommendations to the letter, so I will ignore them completely here.
The best trickle charge is the level at which the battery voltage does not increase or drop its voltage, it is just maintained exactly. I set to 13.2 volts.
As the battery gets older, a year later for example, that charge will allow the battery to very slowly discharge only...not a bad thing. You could do a tiny readjust to get it back to maintaining the charge if that was important for the application.
I only charge my batteries to 13.2 volts as I don't want any gassing, and I want my battery to have the best life possible, but this means that the battery only has about 70% of the maximum charge possible by "over charging".....
Letting a car battery discharge below 12.6 volts, starts to shorten its life. If you need to have a battery deep discharge proof, it must be a Leisure battery type, more expensive and not as good at delivering the amps needed to start a car engine for example, but it will accept deep discharging without any problems....
I personally would never recommend a car battery for anything other than a car, they are cheap, but deep discharge once and the battery is at least mortally wounded, do it a second time and it will be dead......
Always download the manufacturers info's and follow them slavishly as well....

• 3 weeks later...