Electronics-Lab.com Community

Re: made my first PCB --- but there are questions :p

GREAT, thanks guys!, this is the perfict topic I've been needing.  I'm getting ready to make my own pcb's, just waiting for my new toner cartrages to arrive by mail.  Is there any tips/tricks that might help?  I tried the toner transfer method via photo paper, but I either didn't leave the paper in the soap & water enough, wasn't at a specific temp or the paper was water resistant, I left it in for about 40 min I think & the paper wasn't desolving like it was suppose to.  I'm guessing the photo method doesn't care if it's Inkjet or Toner?

Joe

GREAT, thanks guys!, this is the perfict topic I've been needing.  I'm getting ready to make my own pcb's, just waiting for my new toner cartrages to arrive by mail.  Is there any tips/tricks that might help?  I tried the toner transfer method via photo paper, but I either didn't leave the paper in the soap & water enough, wasn't at a specific temp or the paper was water resistant, I left it in for about 40 min I think & the paper wasn't desolving like it was suppose to.

Some photo papers are wax coated or actually plastic and are water resistant, did you try normal copier paper?

I know I said use the highest heat setting but I've changed my mind since then, lower heat settings seem to be better because the toner doesn't smear so much.

I'm guessing the photo method doesn't care if it's Inkjet or Toner?

That's right, it doesn't matter with the photo method, so long as the ink is opaque to UV: most are.

2 questions about the photo process.

1) Do I need to make a negative of my designs or will the regular posative print out work?

It depends on the photoresist, normally it's positive - black lines create copper.

2) If I'd print my designs out on transparancy film, can I save that & reuse that same sheet?  

Yes, of course you can.

If you can't get hold of transparent film then use tracing paper - it works just as well.

Hello
you can save yourself a lot of expence by using the toner processes.

If you don't have a laser printer no sweat just take your print to a library or office supply store or just about any place that can make a laser copy of your art work. Then just use the iron method.
As far as paper goes I use office gloss, its just like magazine paper and it only takes a few minutes to soak off the board.  Photo  paper is a waste and takes to long to soak off.

gogo