Electronics-Lab.com Community

Charging/Switching efficiency

Rice

Hi All,

A little about myself.
I am not an electronic engineer, but had some related education a while ago, so I am not a total dummy when it comes to electronics. However, I do have a LOT to learn 

A little about what brought me here;
I have been asked to manage a project for a company that claims to have the technology to produce the most power efficient intelligent chargers and converters on the market today.
The advantages are huge: Less energy used ($$$), less heat, longer life, tighter packaging, reduced cooling requirements, etc...
The downside is 20-50% higher cost, which is why this company has not been able to move their technology for the past 15 years. No one cared about efficiency until now and the only determining factor has been cost.

Clearly, efficiency is a hot commodity these days and I am interested, but before I can begin investing time and resources into this project, I wanted to verify their claims, so they have sent me a prototype charger. Now, it sits in my house and I am looking for a company that can test the device and produce an independent report on its performance.

I would greatly appreciate any help and advise!

Just for your info, the claims are as follows:
Test parameters
The following parameters were obtained during testing between 500W and 1000W:
1. Output voltage: +410 VDC
2. Output Power: 0 - 1000W
3. Input Current: 0-265VAC, 45-400*Hz, 1 phase, 100-340VDC
4. Efficiency: 96% at 110VAC, 98% at 220VAC
5. Power Factor: 0.99* at 110VAC, 0.98* at 220VAC
* Figures obtained during testing at 50Hz.

Based on the feedback that I have received so far on another forum, I'd like to add that the technology has been originally developed for commercial applications. Its efficiency is proportional to the power output. However it can be scaled down as well. The closest application that I envision is charging of electric vehicles.