Electronics-Lab.com Community

Audio amplification question

wado1942

Hello.  I'm very new to electronics and have myself in an odd situation.
I'm trying to design a simple audio amplifier to drive a VU meter based on the 4739 dual opamp because I have a bunch of them.
I've attached a crude scheme below.

audioscheme.gif

What's happening is I get an audio signal, but it's always unity gain regardless of the pot position.  I know the amplifier is working because my first version ran on a 9V battery and the output was weak and distorted.  When I switched to a +-12V power supply, the signal got stronger and clearer.  If I touch anything in the feedback loop, I hear the interference.  I tried reading about op amp design but from everything I've read, I should be getting 0-10x gain.

Like I said, I'm pretty clueless so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the quick replies everybody.
I actually tried running into the inverting input and got nothing out of it.  It didn't make sense to have a 1K resistor feeding into the non-inverting input but since I didn't get a signal, I tried it the way I showed in the scheme.  Perhaps my ground on the non-inverting input was poor.  I'll give it another shot.

Thanks again,  I was racking my brain yesterday over this.

Well the inverting amp configuration works like a charm so I'm going with that.  My next challenge is adding a -10dB switch.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking a resistor to shunt part of the input signal to ground but I wouldn't know how to calculate it.