Electronics-Lab.com Community

220 to 110 V convertor advice

den_zuk

Please can anyone help me assemble this device that my son unfortunately broke (in searching for science ) ....it is some kind of 220 to 110 v converter (190 W), i draw a little picture how the components look like with their actual colors, there's no any labels on transformer or on the box (inside and outside). Maybe it is too easy for someone but for me its almost inhuman to resolve.
Thank you.

post-49188-14279144029765_thumb.jpg

Ok boys, i agree that a photo will tell  more so i make a fast shoot with phone and show you how it's look like.....on the box ( normal plastic box) there's no label , only one stamp - Made in China. Its not broken, only disassembled by my little son ( in searching for some interesting may be). The box was fully broken so i don't put it on the photo.
On the photo in bottom corners are 220 v entry plug ( in left) and  110 V outlet in right .
Upper left is normal 3A/250V  AC switch and in right its transformer ( cables are :red blue blue ( and between first and after  second blue there is an red and  black  cables that are connected directly to  LED)).
I'l be grateful if someone can help.

post-49188-14279144029973_thumb.jpg

It's an autotransformer.

It has three connections, primary, secondary and neutral.

Both the neutral for the input and output connect to the neutral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer

The only trouble is you need to identify the different windings.

My guess is that the middle is the secondary tap.

You can confirm this using a DVM, the primary will have a higher resistance than the secondary.