Electronics-Lab.com Community

UPS

Guest prinsesa

Guest prinsesa

UPS with 600 VA are normally used with PC monitors.. if I used an adaptor for a load of 10 watts will there be any disadvantages? Will it easily worn out the adaptor with 12V 1A rating?

UPS with 600 VA are normally used with PC monitors.. if I used an adaptor for a load of 10 watts will there be any disadvantages? Will it easily worn out the adaptor with 12V 1A rating?

An old monitor with a cathode ray tube (picture tube) used about 100W or 100VA, not 600VA.
A new LCD monitor uses about 20VA..

An adapter for a load of 10W could have a wrong voltage of 1V or 1000V.

An adapter rated at 12V/1A might work or might not work since every monitor is different.

Guest prinsesa

Hi I must have confused you..UPS 600VA are normally used for computers, and I am thinking if it will have disadvantage if I will use the UPS in different device. I want to use the UPS as supply for a device that will consume only 10-12 watts. I will use a power supply adaptor with 12V 1A rating plugged in UPS for the device. Will the power supply adaptor easily be worn out if I will use it with UPS? Thanks for the quick reply by the way.  ;)

No offence intended but I think you need to think more before asking questions.

How much power can the normal mains supply?

Does your adaptor get work out when you plug it in to the normal mains supply?

How much power does a typical computer use?

What difference could it possibly make?

Why would the adaptor be worn out?

The UPS will last nearly 60 times longer powering a 10W load than a 600W load.

Hi I must have confused you..UPS 600VA are normally used for computers, and I am thinking if it will have disadvantage if I will use the UPS in different device. I want to use the UPS as supply for a device that will consume only 10-12 watts. I will use a power supply
adaptor with 12V 1A rating plugged in UPS for the device. Will the power supply adaptor easily be worn out if I will use it with UPS? Thanks for the quick reply by the way

Ok.Decoding the post I think you mean that you have a 600VA UPS, normally used with a PC, and you want to connect a small wall transformer to it to power some device. The wall transformer is rated at 12V 1A.

Yes, you can do that. The transformer's primary will most likely be rated for the same volatge output as the UPS.

You will be able to use your transformer for about 40 times more time than a 600VA load.

A new LCD monitor uses about 20VA..

For some reason my right Samsung monitor says at the back: 240VAC, 1.2A.