Electronics-Lab.com Community

OOPS I droped my laptop PS in a bucket of water

gogo2520

Hello
murffy's law took over at work the other day and my laptop PS paid the price now I have to decide weather to buy a replacement or build one. right now I got the laptop running off a bench top PS. the computer still works. I could try to fix the wet one but I have took them apart before and don't think I could fix it. The power spec's are 19.2 volts at 3.5 amps. A  replacement will cost about 80+bucks with shipping pricey but pretty. Its an old laptop so maybe I just get a newer one sooner then thought, but the other one  still works  fine for light duty stuff. I use it a lot to program pic's and keep my research on it.
            any Ideas would be appreciated
                              thanks in advance
                                gogo

Oh it a Toshiba satellite

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to fix the wet laptop.

Does it have a mechanical hard drive or is it solid state?

If it's mechanical, dry it out and if you can get it to work, backup all the data and replace it. Don't even consider re-using the mechanical hard drive, even if it works because it won't be reliable.

If it's a solid state hard drive, dry it out and if it works, carry on using it: there's nothing wrong with it.

If it has a CD/DVD burner it's probably also bad and even if it it isn't then you should replace it as you'll no longer be able to trust it to read/write information correctly.

Replace all the fans, grit and dirt has probably got into the bearings making them unreliable.

You also might need a new keyboard.

If the PCBs are dirty wash them in clean water and dry them thoroughly before reapplying  the power.

I'd also be worried about the battery, it'll probably be fine as long as you dry it as soon as you can but it might also need replacing.

If all of the above is too expensive or too much trouble for the price of a new laptop don't bother, buy a new one.

Oh, just realised it's only the power supply. ;D

I've left the above in place just in case you drop the laptop in water next time. :D

Dry the PSU out.

Check the internal fuse, if broken try temporarily shorting it and connecting the supply to the mains in series with a 100W bulb (do this unloaded). If it works, replace the internal fuse, don't leave it shorted. If it doesn't work something else has gone wrong and it's probably not worth repair.

Thanks for the response
  I had to cut the PS apart to see what I could find. Could find and fuses blown or any fried chips or caps. I will let it dery out a little more befor I plug it in and test it. I did find a replacement on amazon for 22.00 dollars not bad.
                                      thanks again
                                      gogo