Electronics-Lab.com Community

100 amp power supply design

There is an excellent homebrew 13.8 VDC 10 Amp power supply on this site. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to modify it to 13.8 VDC 100 Amps (by adding pass transistors, etc.)?

I have a ham friend who needs one to power up his linear amplifier. He already has the appropriate transformer and other parts. We just are not sure about the current handlilng capabilities of this design.

A properly designed amplifier shouldn't require a regulated supply.

Is it an audio amplifier?

If it's designed to drive 4Ω speakers then the power output will be 23.8W per channel maximum. If it needs to output any more power per channel then the speaker's impedance needs reducing or the power supply voltage increasing. Some car audio amplifiers have a built-in boost converter to increase the voltage which means there's even less point in using a regulated supply.

If the linear amp is for his ham radio, I'm surprised it only needs 13.8V. As for a 100A 13.8V (1.38KW) linear power supply... while it could be done, it's not very practical. The transformer alone must be as big as a boat anchor and weigh just as much, whereas a 1 KW switching supply power supply isn't much larger than a bench DVM.