Electronics-Lab.com Community

GATEWAY NOTEBOOK POWER QUESTION

storm62

Hello all--I been fooling with electronics for over 30 years-I have a notebook computer here that no longer has a warranty-it just ran out last month.. The power adapter plug socket is a mess-the board where its soldered to is also a mess (I'm thankful that this isnt effecting the notebook in anyway) My question is--The computer works 100% with the battery and when the power adapter is plugged into that messed up socket-SOMETIMES you can wiggle it just right and the battery will charge-But its shot--like i said the board in that area is a mess.. Would any know if there is a way to connect a power source to the contacts where the battery connects to the notebook-Looking at the connector-it looks like a blade type connector-why i dont know doesnt the battery supply pos and neg to the notebook--unless that blade looking socket is just a quide so the battery slides in correctly.. Thanks for any help... Mark ???

I dont think that will work as the battery is not just a battery, it is a 'smart battery' with integrated safety interlocks and monitoring circuits. Your laptop expects to be able to communicate wth the circuits on the battery to turn ON. If you connect just the battery positive and negative (maybe there are more than 2 power connections) your laptop will most likely not switch ON at all.

The best thing to do is take the laptop apart while taking pictures of the disassembly process. Locate the damaged board and try to repair that. If it is broken or badly damaged you could connect two small wires bringing the PCB power connector to the outside where you have a small connector that mates with the power supply of the laptop.

The second approach allows you to maintain portability as well.

Oh i see well thanks for getting back to me.. I just thought there was a better way to fix this as the board where the power jack is soldered to is so messed up--There are very small components right around that broken board that looks like they were soldered in by a machine--almost looks impossible to solder by hand..I've soldered many many boards in my day--this looks bad.. The great part of all this is the computer works 100% with the battery (which is getting low) all functions work 100% except the charging which is the bad area of the board.. Its not important that i have this notebook portable-so staying in one place is ok for me..I was wondering--what about taking the battery apart and connecting a power source to the contacts where the batterys connect inside the case-simply remove the small batterys in that case--I'm just tossing things around--like i said--The computer works 100% and by the looks of the board where the power jack is--Theres going to be issues with the other components next to that jack--If the board wasnt damaged--I'd say No problem with the reinstall of a new power jack but honestly this board is a mess..  Thanks for any input and have a great day!!! MARK