Electronics-Lab.com Community

QVGA LCD + touchscreen implementation

Hello everyone,

I'd like to implement a QVGA LCD with touchscreen in one of my personal design. I'm using a PSOC 3 to interface several sensors, and I want to display real-time values from them.

Here is the LCD that I plan to use :

http://www.optrex.com/products/partdetail.asp?PartNumber=T-55264GD057J-FW-ADN

I have to say that I am all new to graphic LCD, and I am still not sure of the hardware I will need to drive that. Do I need a specific LCD controller?

I know it may be possible to drive the screen directly from the PSOC, but i'm worried about getting it overloaded.

Thank you for you help !!

Jonathan

You don't necessarily need a LCD controller.  If you want to display video or  VGA input, a COTS controller board would be an easy way to go.  If you are just going using it as a GUI, then you can probably drive it with TTL signal levels.  Does your controller board have any type of VGA or NTSC output?  If so, this could make for a nice shortcut.  After skimming through the datasheet, I'm guessing TTL appears to be the interface type, in which case designing a hardware interface shouldn't be too daunting.  If I'm wrong and it's LVDS, then you will need a level translator IC.  Either way, it's going to be quite a project, but a good one. 

Sorry I've only skimmed the surface with this subject, as my time is limited, but I hope this gives you some direction to start with. 

James