Electronics-Lab.com Community

Alternator Basics

waleed2010

Hello there,

I have done some research on this topic. I know alternator got 2 main parts rotar and stator, my question is about the rotar and stator. I would like to know whether the rotating part is got the rotating magenetic field (if that is the case, is it the magnet permant magnet or its just iron core with got winding and its magnetise) and stator got windings. So is that when roataing magnetic field rotates (rotar) and induce the current in stator winding? correct me If I am wrong. Plesae educate me (I am talking about alterntors used in Disel or Gas generators).

Advance Thanks
mad(e)_in_electronics

An alternator does not have any magnets in it. Google PM motors, altenators and generators (a DC motor run "backwards")... plenty of info on how they work.

The field isn't really "rotating", the commutator changes the flux direction on the rotor pole windings to repel against the field windings flux.

I imagine magnetic based generators are still being used because of their advantages.

KevinIV, what do you think the advantages are over a genarator that has a field winding??? And after you explain that, explain to everyone what role the strength of the flux field has to do with how much power you can get out of a "genarator".

• 2 weeks later...