Electronics-Lab.com Community

DC/DC Converter (the proper diode)

polfort

Hi there.

Looking at the schematic (http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/3471fb.pdf) on page 16, I am asking myself what kind of diodes are recommended for a boost topology.
It is certain that it should be a fast switching diode, its capacity should be as low as possible.
What I am in doubt of is the minimum reverse voltage it must handle.
I am only referring to the boost up circuit build up around switch 1. As far as I understand, the maximum reverse voltage in that circuit is equal to the max. output voltage.
I

A fast switching diode might not be necessary for a DC to DC power supply. Schotkey diodes have a P region that is just metal, don't quote me. But the diodes you want have the voltage and current specifications that are just adequate. Using high current diodes, or low current diodes at their maximum rating, is not efficient.

A fast switching diode might not be necessary for a DC to DC power supply.

No.

A DC-DC converter is a switched mode power supply which switches at a high frequency so a fast switching diode is required.

Using high current diodes, or low current diodes at their maximum rating, is not efficient.

That's true, you shouldn't puch components to their maximum ratings and with diodes you have the advantage of a lower voltage loss at currents much less than the maximum rating.