Electronics-Lab.com Community

joule thief circiuts

steven

:)have just poped in after a long absensce i dont know if anyones posted it  but as intresting as they are and very handy is the joule thief circiut i have biult from schematics on youtube and been experimenting with them so ill share what circiuts ive collected

post-876-14279144145916_thumb.jpg

i took some pictures with my handy cam but since then i reused my other digital camera which i used before to upload high quality pictures here so heres another one and it works ive even recharged  over half a dozen button cells to and saved over $19 haveing to buy a new battery for my watch to , and ive even charged a 2200uf electrolytic capacitor  50 volts over charged to 71 volts to but i just have to get the timeing right to , hope this works again after all this time , note the 12 volts globe at front is  modified  to house my neon globe, and it took a fast 3 seconds to recharge my tiny watch battery to .

post-876-14279144146124_thumb.jpg

post-876-14279144146476_thumb.jpg

:) straight from a youtube video i got the circiuts to biuld it here it is i redrew it  simplified so i can biuld it easyer to , the guy who made this says he has blown over ten multimeters to when taking measuremenets of this circiut but ive had no problems yet, well i did cook a tranny but  i biult this from the schematics before i realized about needing the heatsink but its ok  it dosent hardly get hot

post-876-14279144146909_thumb.jpg

well seem that they call  it a joule thief battery charger i decided to put it to the test and it sure dose charge up button cells  now we know that if you over charge them to much to the piont they get to hot they may explode but i timed it so it dont get that far and it works  for tiny button cells a just a few seconds say 2 to 3 thats all  and i have the pot set  so its output is at its lowest for that circiut  even though the measurements say its still high  a few seconds is all it takes but other button cells if they have anything wrong inside id say maybe it fixing it so i wait till they start to get warm and then i stop and then i check the flatt button cell on a smaller joule thief and find its like its been not just recharged but maybe rejuvenated to.  my watch battery is still working in my watch since ive recharged it and i have the date and time i recharged it so when it finally gets flatt again ill know how good it is then as i expect this battery to have a longer life or maybe last longer .

:) today i scored a packet of free flatt button cells includeing large lithium and 12 volt pencil batteries and all up there was 85 batteris and they have thousands of flatt button cells etc so i recharged them all except a few large lithium ones that couldent be  re charged or revived  , if i can score a few thousand of them i would be spending weeks rechargeing them .  and the ones that were very easy to recharge were the small non litium types, some large lithium  ones  charged ok ,but some the charge just leaked away  and the pile of recharged ones i have  i test on a smaller joule thief circiut  and if i was  to stack them all on top of each other i would have a long thin battery cell  longer than the a23 energizer which has a stack  of 7 button cells on top of each other inside it.

:) over night half the batteries went flatt so they couldent maintain there charge but the rest are ok and so i recharged the ones that went flatt and they seem to be ok but i have to recheck them after 2 days standing,  as for the few short 12 volts non energizer types i scored they charged up easy , as for half the lithium batteries that couldent hold a charge i performed an autopsy on one and it sure stunk inside it and the thin white membrane under this black round thin waffer like thing reacted with water and foamed up , i have no idea if they get sulphate as there is only this thin round bits  inside it