Electronics-Lab.com Community

wireless electric billing... is it possible?

• 3 weeks later...

That's exactly what the new "Smart Meters" that the utilities are at this moment investing multi-millions installing do.  They are queried periodically and respond with the electrical usage information.  I do not know what technology they use for the link to the utility.  I also do not know how often the meter "reports in," but I believe that it will be several times per hour. 

One of the guys installing "Smart Meters" here in the San Francisco Bay Area for PG&E told me he did not know anything about the technology, but that he thought a satellite link was involved.  He did not know if the satellite communicated with each "Smart Meter" individually or if data from many meters was collected at a central point and the accumulated data was linked to the utility via satellite.  Conceivably, the meters could use cell phone links locally.

The "Smart Meters" provide the utilities much more detail in the quasi-instantaneous time-of-usage of energy by each customer which some (including me) regard as yet another intrusion into the privacy of the individual.  The flip side is that it facilitates time-of-use fee structures, i.e.,  cost per KWH based upon when you use the energy which can be advantageous to the thoughtful energy consumer.

awright

• 3 months later...

yep your right, we use PowerLine Technology giving two way communication with the meter, (ideal for turning off non-payment consumers as the meter comes with an internal relay) it also eradicates the need for meter readers!
Also the Smart meter has a remote battery powered readout which the consumer can place on a well etc and monitor their KWh usage.
Other suppliers have opted for Blue tooth and RF smart meters where some unfortunate guy spends all day driving round automatically uploading the meter readings.
Big problem we have found is the loss of monthly KWh consumption when the "guaranteed for life" meters brake!!!

yep your right, we use PowerLine Technology giving two way communication with the meter, (ideal for turning off non-payment consumers as the meter comes with an internal relay) it also eradicates the need for meter readers!
Also the Smart meter has a remote battery powered readout which the consumer can place on a well etc and monitor their KWh usage.
Other suppliers have opted for Blue tooth and RF smart meters where some unfortunate guy spends all day driving round automatically uploading the meter readings.
Big problem we have found is the loss of monthly KWh consumption when the "guaranteed for life" meters brake!!!

The technology and features vary from country to country.