Electronics-Lab.com Community

C programming

bitbyte888

Hello everyone my name is bitsbyte . I am a hobbyist. I would love to know whats the best book to get to learn about C programming . As C language is use a lot in programming chipset and microcontroller. I hope i use the right term. Your guidance and advise will very appreciated. Thank- you

bitsbyte rulezzz :D

• 3 months later...

Programming with ANSI C is a lot different  then programmer for micro controllers. Most C compilers run well for 16 or 32 bit  programs but when it comes to a 8 bit program like a microchip mid-range,its all different. Most of the C, Basic or whatever they call there compiler, were written for a specific microchip pic, avr, 8051, or whatever chip you are using.  I use ASM with pic's  because its free to use  and works fine with mid-range chips Sure there some free C compilers out but they are usually limited chop down versions of the good programs they sell, Free trail version to lure you into buying a 500- to 1000's of dollar programs.

GPL programs  GPL= general public license or Copy Left verses Copyright . Are written buy the people for the people and there are free as you pay nothing Free programs Free support and lessons.  
LIKE THESE TWO:

As far as ANSI C and even C++ compilers I would recommend Blood Shed its free and community support. and I even believe it  supports visual basic
Another good an free compiler for 18Fxxx series Microchips  is Swordfish SE and that is community supported too also I believe there is some support for avr's too  

whatever tickles you fancy when it comes C programming there is plenty or free stuff out there including tutorials and books There support forms is the place to search for the answers
                                                     have fun
                                                          gogo

PS the list of free compilers goes on

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gogo2520. I have read that microcontrollers can be programmed in C with compilers adapted for certain microcontrollers. Doesn't that make it easier to create larger and almost as efficient microcontroller programs. I know of other languages that can be used, but they would not be as efficient for programing a microcontroller.

• 8 months later...

Hello gogo2520. I have read that microcontrollers can be programmed in C with compilers adapted for certain microcontrollers. Doesn't that make it easier to create larger and almost as efficient microcontroller programs. I know of other languages that can be used, but they would not be as efficient for programing a microcontroller.

Depends on the compiler. take High Tecks C compiler used on microchips. You can get a free trial version to try it out but it is not totaly optimizes like the program you buy, so the program you write and compile with the free version is biger(more lines of code) then the optimized version.
second, the problem with using different C compilers not written for the microcontroller you have is the header files are missing and they just can't be copy and placed in a library because the compiler wouldn't know how to use them.
   most of the programs written for microchips are interperters that use the basic asm commands and the turn it into a more user friendly type language like C or basic. check out great cow basic once its a free compiler and commutity supported.   http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/ . there all written on top of asm wich is almost machine language
 have fun
gogo

• 1 year later...