Electronics-Lab.com Community

Choosing a SPICE program

mn1247

I'm bewildered by all the different versions of SPICE.

I run on a Mac, but I have Parallels available. I've also heard that I can use Crossover or WINE. I'm hoping for something easy to use, analog and digital, capture/analyze/waveforms, and low or no cost. And, I need a reasonable parts library.

So, what do people recommend? PSpice (student version 9.1)? LTSpice? MI-Sugar? Something else?

Thanks
Eric

I don't know, I've never tried to do that before.

I say probably no, it does have an export netlist feature, but I didn't see Eagle listed in the formats it can export.

I don't know why you'd want to do that, you obviously haven't used Eagle that much, it's useless unless you work on both the board and the schematic simultaneously which is one of the main reasons why I don't like it. In order to create a PCB, you need to create schematic and PCB files with the same name, then the PCB will be populated as the schematic is drawn. Try drawing a schematic in Eagle, then creating a PCB, it will whine that it isn't consistent with the schematic which is not acceptable: there should be a way to create a PCB from a schematic.

I'm afraid you'll have that kind of problem whatever piece of software you use because there's no standard for schematics.

My advice is draw the whole schematic in Eagle for the layout and keep LTSpice for simulation, there's often no need to simulate the whole design anyway, it's normally a total waste of time.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am a newbi to all of this but you might want to try a free thirty day periiod of Tina. It ha schematic capture,
parts lists, the asbility to do spice things and copperclad board in one complete program. If you can not find the download site give me a message and I will guide you there. There are pro versions, technician versions and student - teacher ect.