Electronics-Lab.com Community

Need to convert a music synthesizer from 110V to 230V.Voltage and fuse questions

projectwoofer

Hello to everyone!

I'm new here and I have a rather elementary question. I live in Europe but just bought a rackmount synthesizer from the states...the Roland D-550.

So, I need to convert it to european voltage and have some questions: I've read the service manual and the power supply is universal and has slots for 100V, 117V, 220V and 240V...My country is on 230V, which one should I choose? 220V or 240V?

Moreover, the power supply uses 2 fuses:

1. The main fuse (F1) is a 315mA 250V and should be changed to a 160mA T 250V fuse..I do have a spare 400mA T 250V fuse but I suppose I should not use it?

2. The second fuse (F2) is a 1.25A N1 250V and should be changed to a 1.25A T 250V...do I really need to change this one too or to change the main fuse is enough?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Your machine will run fine on the original fuses but you will lose protection in the event of a failure that would have blown the recommended fuses.  I strongly recommend installing the recommended fuses but if it will take some time to obtain them from the states, I would go ahead and use the original fuses temporarily.

Utility line voltages are rarely exactly the nominal voltages stated by the utilities.  The long-term average there is probably a few volts different from 230 volts and the instantaneous voltage will fluctuate with instantaneous loading on the line.  If you can obtain a meter, measure the actual line voltage at your receptacles several times over the day and night, determine the average, and use the setting closest to your average.  It is normally not critical. 

For a reason that I cannot remember right now I measured the line voltage in my home recently and found 127 volts.  Line voltage here is typically described as 120 volts.

If you don'e want to measure your voltage, I concur with Hero999 that you should start on 240 volt setting and see how your equipment functions.

awright

• 10 years later...

10 volts difference pumping into the transformer is next to negligible. Fuses shouldn't blow just because of a "normal" voltage spike.

More often they blow due to internal shorts or massive spikes due to a line fault (vehicle hitting pole/mains transformer faulting etc).

Either 220v or 240v would work equally well in my opinion. It's important to inspect power supply capacitors that are on the supply

side of the board. They die and some die hard. When rejuvenating old radios or audio equipment virtually all caps are replaced;

some need binning and the others, just because 😉