Electronics-Lab.com Community

FM Transmitter Help

Guest Aliyu Umar

Guest Aliyu Umar

Hi all
I built the below audioguru FM transmitter circuit but the circuit does not provide the said output and Q3 is getting hot. I am getting 3.2v and 1.3v across R6 and R7 respectively instead of 2.03v and 2.25v. but when i removed C5 from the circuit I got required voltage, pls your help is highly welcome.   

post-0-14279144292945_thumb.jpg

It won't work if you build it on a breadboard or with its parts spread too far apart. It must be made on a compact pcb or stripboard layout like I did.

C5 allows Q2 to be a common-base amplifier so it can oscillate. Without C5 then Q3 will get hot without having a signal.
But adding C5 to your circuit seems to stop its oscillation which is odd.

Guest Aliyu Umar

Hi Audioguru,

I greatly appreciate for the pcb design and at the same time sorry for not replying quick because i was away. I will go ahead with the construction.

Thank you.

Hero999

Below is the attached photograph of the transmitter, the dimension is 8cm by 5.5cm.

post-0-14279144296566_thumb.jpg

Guest Aliyu Umar

Hi Hero999

as it  failed to produce the required output, i feel discourage to test the transmitter with a microphone.

They are ok, I checked my connections also several times there is nothing wrong. 

Measure the battery voltage and measure how much current the transmitter is using. My transmitter used a brand new 9V alkaline battery that measured 9.2V when new and 8.0V after one hour. The current was 53ma when the battery was new.

I measured the range across a huge river valley with nothing in between.
I used a transmitting antenna 80cm long and hanging vertically out a window in my home. The home stereo antenna and car radio antennas are also vertical.
My FM dial is full of stations so I used the same frequency as a low power foreign language radio station on the other side of my city. Its interference reduced my range.

I measured the range to be more than 2km to my very sensitive home stereo and very sensitive car radio, about 400m to my cheap Sony Walkman portable radio and across the street (about 80m) to a cheap "radio" from The Dollar Store.

Did you measure the range with nothing in between?
With a new 9V alkaline battery? About 53mA of current?
With 80cm long vertical antennas?
To a very sensitive radio?

what  i mean is that the range am getting from the transmitter is nothing compare to what i read from this forum.

Are you measuring it by tuning your radio until you hear static which is silenced when the transmitter is turned on or are you using a power meter or oscilloscope?

They are 2N3904 plastic transistors.   

Sorry, I forgot that the 2N3904 does normally come in a plastic package, I confused it with the 2N2222A.

Yes you're right, from your photograph the transistors do seem to be connected correctly.