Electronics-Lab.com Community

Using electro-plating rectifier as a low-voltage high-current power supply

stube40

We've been looking for a low-voltage high-current power supply for our lab to put between 200A and 1000A through a superconducting coil with inductance of 50mH. Total resistance of the load will be around 0.1 Ohm.

The only thing I've been able to find so far is an electro-plating rectifier. Although it's called a rectifier, as far as I can see it's actually a low-voltage high-current PSU.

The manual (attached) is not very informative. It is a 3-phase input. Switchable DC output from 0-15V and 0-1000Amps. It is based on IGBTs. Power factor of 0.95, 2% ripple. It has either constant current or constant voltage operation.

It's very expensive ($12500!!!) and I'm worried about buying it and then it not doing what we require (or, even worse, we break it because we're mis-using it).

Can anyone shed any light on whether we're going doing the wrong track or not?

Op_Manual_161150_3000-6_15V1000A1.pdf

By "load" I meant the entire load that the PSU sees. The coil itself is made of Type 2 Sumitomo superconducting tape which zero resistance. However, the copper surround and interconnects have small resistances associated with them.

Sorry, but my resistance estimate of 0.1 Ohm missed a zero and you are correct that V = IR breaks down with 0.1Ohm.  We are using 4G power cable (7x7x34x0.12mm) which has a resistance of 0.97mOhm per metre. The copper interconnects are a fraction of this. If we used 10 metres of this stuff then the overall resistance would still be around 0.01Ohm.

• 1 month later...