Electronics-Lab.com Community

help with home alarm system :o

eceko

hi my project for the end of the sem in industrial electronics is a home alarm system.
my groupmates and i already have infrared sensors in mind and also the use of magnetic contacts in mind for doors and windows. however my prof does not want the system only to rely on infrared and protection of doors and windows alone. does anyone have ideas on other types of human detecting sensors that i could use to incorporate in the home alarm system? i was also thinking of having a sensor in case of fire as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean PIR based sensors with these infrared sensors? If not use PIR sensors with analogue ot digital processing. Also there are microwave based sensors, sensors with more than one type (microwave-PIR for example). Fire sensors are different types also. The most popular are thermal or smoke detectors.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I used to design security systems for several major alarm companies in Sydney, Australia from 1976-1982, so I suggest  you may wish to look at sample & hold type detection.    The I.C.s I used then are very much used today, only less expensive.

That is to say, once a "sensor" a reed switch, a pressure mat, an ultrasonic or a microwave sensor has tripped its own output relay to report back to the actual alarm "box" the actual alarm must hold that signal, be it an on or off state device sensor and pass that detected signal on to another portion of the alarm, that holds the signal level (Hi or Lo) whatever and after a pre-determined time (set by you)  this is the entry time, then once that has expired, it then goes into an alarm on mode and passes a signal, (either Hi or Lo) what ever to trigger the siren or noise maker. Note you also need to have an exit time, giving the sensors time to settle and you time to leave the protected premises, of course  8)

Typically mechanical bells make the loudest noise in Decibels than sirens ( volt for volt, watt for watt ), however piezo sounders are also a great noise maker requiring a relatively small current at , say 12Volts DC.  Sirens can be made using a garden variety NE555 ic also. 

I designed a 4  IC. car alarm (back in 1980) which can be adapted as a house alarm, it uses 3 x CMOS HEF4001 IC and 1 x HEF4011 I.C., about 9 capacitors and some 1N4002 diodes, a relay and a transistor BC635 and about 15 resistors. 

The circuit basically was some slow to operate flip-flops.  An extra siren was added - externally switching on via the relay.

The relay also could operate another heavy duty air horn relay which made lots of Air Horn noise, but draws many amps.

The noise making is up to you, these are just small suggestions and examples of where you can go with an alarm system done well.  You can use a few transistors, a few resistors and a few capacitors and make a oscillator siren. These are quite good. Plenty of circuits are around on the net for these.

These companies I designed for  manufactured these like sausages, they were the company's most sought after product back then, they sold many 10's of  thousands and made lots of  $$$ , but for me, I just got paid for the one design job :( ..... Lesson learned...do not do anything that you are not going to get residual income for ( royalties ). (eg: like muso's and singers get paid these days) I have not made that mistake ever again !  :D

Start ----------> turn key and activate alarm------> exit time ------->alarm sets after a pre-determined time, usually 20 seconds to 40 seconds. You decide what time is to be used, using a variable resistor or commonly known as a Pot (short for potentiometer). This exit time wil give the "system" time to settle and passively activate and do its quiet job, until woken.

Sensor-----> sample & Hold cct------> entry time cct------> alarm condition detected cct-----> make noise --->- reset and re-arm

Entry time gives you time to go inside and de-activate the alarm , quietly with a key or a numeric keypad... what ever.

Typically all alarms should have a Gelcell battery (12V) with a constant low (milliamps) charger to top up the battery.

Some suggestions using the ubiquitous NE-555 I.C.
=========================================

http://www.unitechelectronics.com/NE-555.htm#mercury-switched

http://www.unitechelectronics.com/NE-555.htm#hi-lo-siren

http://www.unitechelectronics.com/NE-555.htm#photoeye-alarm

http://www.unitechelectronics.com/NE-555.htm#touch-switch

http://www.unitechelectronics.com/NE-555.htm  <-- the whole page is here

Hope this makes life easier for you.  Remember, keep it simple. :)

Cheers, Jeff