Electronics-Lab.com Community

ILL PAY$$$--NEED HELP TO DRIVE 35-40 SMD RGB LED

Hi everyone. I am a junior biochem major at SYRACUSE and i am OBSESED with idea. I  need help designing a circuit that will allow me to effectively and efficiently controll 35-40 smd rgb led. I have found this great wireless remote controll rgb led driver from the Germam Company LED-TECH.DE. The specs for the driver states:

- PWM: 150Hz (no flickering!)
- Input: 7-30V DC
- Output: Depending on the input
- Max. capacitance per channel: 10A
- Max. LED forward voltage: 35V DC
- Max. total capacitance of illuminants: 20A over soldering pads or 16A over clamps

The url is: (http://www.led-tech.de/en/LED-Controlling/LED-Controlling/MultiLine-RGB-Fader-V2.0-LT-1000_118_31.html)

The SMD RGB led Im using have the following features:

FORWARD VOLTAGE  MIN  TYPICAL      MAX      fORWARD CURRENT
RED LED                  2.0      2.3          2.8            120 ma
GREEN LED              3.0        3.5          4.0              150 ma
BLUE LED                3.0        3.5          4.0              150ma

The URL is : http://www.kingbrightusa.com/kcpartno.asp?txtPartNo=AAAF5051)
Product Number  :AAAF5051-03

Guys I dont know is the leds should be in series or parallel?
If the voltage and amp output from the controller is sufficient. 
Do I need more components and circuitry?
Please Help, Ill take any comments question, reference sites,  books, tutorials, pople, drawing, scemetic, pcb layout anything...AND IM WILLING TO PLAY. Please post anything or you can even email me at [email protected].

The specification doesn't make any sense, Amps is the unit for measuring current, not capacitance.

Does it boost the voltage? The maximum LED voltage is specified at 35V but the maximum input is just 30V.

LEDs should be connected in series not parallel.

Does the controller limit the current? If so, 10A is far too hgih for those LEDs, if not you need a series resistor for each LED.

Thanks for replying. as for the specs on the rgb controller im not sure how to answer that as a copied and pasted the text from the site. From my understanding the controller does not boost the voltage. I am assuming the output voltage is the same as the input voltage.
The Controller does not limit the current and yes resistors will be needed. If a suitable controller comes to mind please share. Also can you help me calculate the proper voltage and Amps to drive these led effevtively. Thanks in advance.

Reading through what you've posted again, you can connect the LEDs in parallel but each one needs its own series resistor.

What's the power supply voltage?

Note that the LED forward current specified is normally a maximum value, you should limit the current to less than that. The formula for calculating the correct series resistor can be found using Google. You need to experiment to find the required forward current through the red, green and blue LEDs by using variable constant current sources and adjusting them until it produces white light. Then you can work out the correct resistor values. A constant current source can be make with a couple of transistors of the LM317.