Electronics-Lab.com Community

JOYSTICK CONTROL FOR 2 ELECTRIC MOTORS

Hi I am new here and have little electronics experience.

I have a boat project and need to power two electric trolling motors using 2 - 12V batteries (one each). Each motor can go forward or reverse. I want to control the motors using a joystick.

For example: joystick forward - both motors F; joystick pulled back - both motor R; joystick right, left motor F, Right motor R; joystick left - left motor R, right motor F. 

I know I need relays and fuses and of course joystick and appropriate size wiring. I believe these motors need 30 amp fuses so I am aasuming they need 30A relays.

Questions:

1. Can someone draw me a diagram on how to wire this setup? or describe...
2. what would be my materials list? I have a sense of what I need but don't have the proper vocabulary to look on online stores with any confidence.
3. Would a PDC board be useful here? I think the relays are built into this kind of board and you can buy them already built - if so, can you cite a source and the exact name of the unit I would need to do this project?

Thanks, I really need the help. I have attached a simple drawing of what the craft looks like.

BillofSoo

project_pic1.pdf