Electronics-Lab.com Community

single ended output stage

Hi

I am building a single ended MOSFET output stage and the circuit is attached. I am using Wideband transformer WB4-6.Its datasheet is attached. I need to drive a a transducer which can be assumed to be a 20 ohm load. The problem I am facing is the max. input current rating of the transformer is 250mA. My current is exceeding this limit. How can I make sure that current is lowered without changing the power supply. I have fix power supply of 5V, 15V and 8V.

post-54852-14279144331459_thumb.png

WB4-6.PDF

How are you using the transformer?

That topology is only any good for a flyback which produces high voltage negative spikes, not a sine wave or even a very good square wave.

The only solution is to drop the single ended approach, use a push-pull driver and reduce the turns ratio of the transformer.

This is confirmed by my calculations below:

Turns ratio:
Np:Ns = sqrt(Lp/Ls) = sqrt(50/200) = sqrt(0.25) = 0.5:1 = 1:2

Reflected impedance of the 20R transducer:
Zp = Zs *(Np/Ns)2 = 20*(1/2)2 = 20*0.52 = 20*0.25 = 5R

So at 5V, the current will be 1A, Ohm's law.
I = V/R = 5/5 = 1A.

Why are you using the transformer? Is it for isolation? Do you need to boost the voltage? If it's the latter, you need a transformer with a higher power rating. If it's just isolation the same size transformer will do but it needs to be 1:1.