Electronics-Lab.com Community

12V 60W Amplifier

masly

Hi there, I am, new to the forum so I apologise if this question is out there before. I am looking to build a circuit that can power two cabinets that are 60W 8Ohm (2 speakers in each at 30W). In the project section there is a 20W amplifier using a LM1875 IC, is their any way of modifiying this circuit to make it 12v and using a different IC to make it more powerful.

Thanks for the help.

I am looking to build a circuit that can power two cabinets that are 60W 8Ohm (2 speakers in each at 30W). In the project section there is a 20W amplifier using a LM1875 IC, is their any way of modifiying this circuit to make it 12v and using a different IC to make it more powerful.

Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel have a total of 4 ohms so the current is doubled and the power is also doubled. But a 12V supply results in an output swing of only about 8V peak-to-peak which produces a power of only 2W into 4 ohms.

For many years, car radios use two amplifiers in a bridge for each channel so that the output voltage swing is almost doubled. Then the current is also almost doubled and they produce 3.5 times the power which is 7W into 4 ohms with a 12V supply. When the supply is 14.4V then the output is about 15W.
When the volume control is turned up too high producing a lot of clipping distortion then the output is 20W.

A couple of years ago there were more than 100 car radio bridged amplifier ICs. One had a built-in supply voltage doubler. Today most are not made anymore.

Yes, you need a peak voltage of 21.9V to deliver 60W into 4 Ohms.

It can be calculated using Ohm's law:
P = VI
I = V/R
So:
P = V*V/R  = V2/R

Note, the above formulae relate to DC. The RMS power is half the peak power:
PRMS = Vp2/(2R)

Rearrange for Vp
Vp = sqrt(PRMS2R)

Vp = sqrt(60*2*4) = sqrt(60*8) = sqrt(480) = 21.9V

You need a full bridge with a voltage doubler to stand any chance of getting 60W with a 12V supply.