Electronics-Lab.com Community

Switching a 240v supply safely .. need advice/help?

KeepGood

Hi everyone,

I fancy messing around with some microcontroller stuff and I've always fancied being able to build a system where I can switch plug sockets on/off.  I was thinking of using an Atmega to accomplish this.  I believe I would have to use some relays to switch on/off a 240v AC source? 

Can anyone point me in the right direction to information which could help me with this?  If this was about switching a 5v DC source I'd quite happily get my teeth right in there but with this working with 240v I would be happier knowing I'm doing this safely.  Any hints/tips/advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance.

KG

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I fancy messing around with some  led lights microcontroller stuff and I've always fancied being able to build a system where I can switch plug sockets on/off.  I was thinking of using an Atmega to accomplish this.  I believe I would have to use some relays to switch on/off a 240v AC source?  

Can anyone point me in the right direction to information which could help me with this?  If this was about switching a 5v DC source I'd quite happily get my teeth right in there but with this working with 240v I would be happier knowing I'm doing this safely.  Any hints/tips/advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance.

KG

nice thread sir... that's is the one that I want to ask....
good job your thread sir ;)

It's probably too late the original poster but hopefully others will still be reading this.

You can buy USB controlled power saving plugs. Perhaps you could use an MCU to control one via USB.
http://www.savingtrust.dk/public-and-commerce/products/energy-saving-equipment/autopoweroff-plug-banks/autopoweroff-computer

Thanks for your replies.  This project got put on hold for a little while but I'm back onto it.

I had a look at the USB plugs.  They look quite interesting but not quite suited to my needs.  I'll post exact specs and more information about what I'm doing later tonight.

I've got some ATMega8515 chips spare that I was going to use and I'm looking into some relays that can handle a lot of power.  I'll also get an rs232 interface going to the MCU for feedback and control to/from a computer.

Any information I collect for this project I'll post here. :)

Cheers again,

KG