Electronics-Lab.com Community

Talking mirror

jfhjfh

Hi there,

I want to get my 4 year old daughter into the idea of "inventing things" (far too few female engineers around!) and so asked her what problem she would like to solve or what she thought would be a good invention. She said a 'talking mirror'.

Thinking about this, I thought it might be a fun thing to try to make with her. However, I am totally new to the world of electronics and would really appreciate others thoughts about how best to go about this. I thought a movement sensor to detect when someone was in front of the mirror somehow connected to something that can be set to automatically say a few phrases when someone was there. For example, she has a Brio train set station where you can record something by pressing one button and then it gets played back when you press another one - so I'm guessing something like that might work.

Does anyone have any ideas where to start? Any help would be gratefully received!

Best,
John (& Ella)

They're not designed to be interfaced with one another or a different circuit, although I'm not going to say it's impossible.

The proximity sound recording module I linked to has a built-in microphone, speaker and proximity sensor and the battery holder is pre-wired. There are no plugs, sockets for connecting an external speaker, microphone or trigger switch.  It may be possible to dismantle the unit and interface it with your own but you'll need to know what you're doing.

I don't see why you'd need to interface with it. The mirror will play back the pre-recorded phrase when it detects something (i.e. a person) is in front of it. What else do you want?