Electronics-Lab.com Community

hey boyz and girls can anyone tell me if i'm smok'n something good?

hg70

i have a crappy gear selector that i want to change
i know what i want
i know how it should work
i know it will be safe
i don't know how to build the electronic 
as you can see in the pic it's a simple design to keep it reliable
it uses the 12v acc power to power the unit but i'm thinking it might be better to use the 12 batt power to run the solenoids via internal or external relays, i'd prefer internal
the safety must be pressed or pulling the stock/modified shifter will do bugger all
i was thinking of two industrial momentary switches telling the what ever to fire off the solenoid, i also want the what ever to have a delay of 1-2 seconds before it can fire off the next solenoid so the box it not going to miss a gear and blow up, it's a light truck gear box but still it's $1500aud to repair
the what ever needs to fire to two solenoids in a specific order to go up and the same order in reverse to go back down
it's like a tip tronic/paddle shift system without the pagani zonda hanging off it
so i assume you are all still with me do you have any ideas how to make the what ever
and help would be awesome

post-80659-14279144440102_thumb.jpg

found a problem
i'll need to add a third solenoid but shorter solenoid above S2 (easy as) so it go to a neutral position so the firing order will have to be
FIRST
S1out
S2in
SECOND
S1in
S2in
THIRD
S1out
S2nil
S3in
FOURTH
S1in
S2nil
S3in
FIFTH
S1out
S2out
REVERSE
S1in
S2out

Your drawing says, you need 5kg to 10kg of force over a 50mm to 70mm length but you didn't say how fast it has to move? It's quite a lot of force for a solenoid. Another solution could be pneumatics.

The simplest control solution would be a PLC (Programmable, Logic, Controller), which is basically a pre-built control module which can be user programmed.

cheers hero i had a look for plc's on ebay, are they easy to program or would a normal ic be better? i have never programed anything before.
i contacted a few company's for a quote to build the unit and it's around $5100 aud, the solenoid speed will be fast but i should be able to adjust the speed via voltage but no one seems to stock the large units i need. i have been looking into pneumatic rams and it would give better control plus they are dirt cheap.