Electronics-Lab.com Community

ignition device for a miners lamp

Hi people my name is Andy and my knowledge of electronics is extremely limited
i don't even know if this is the right place to ask the question
I collect miners lamps and have several from the 1950's/1960's that need an electronic ignition .The ignition was applied in the lamp room at the collieries
what i need to know is if it is possible to make a device that is 4.4 volts and 25ah output ?
this device works by applying two wires to the lamp one to an isolated ring and the other to the lamp the current then passes through a platinum wire above the wick which glows and lights the flame
any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance
andy

Ah is a unit of charge, normally used with reference to batteries, not current.

It sounds like you need a 25Ah 4V lead acid battery. It will be very heavy though, 3.4kg (7 1/2lb) according to the data sheets I could find for batteries of this size. 4V is not a common voltage though. You may need to make if from two 2V cells.

Ah is a unit of charge, normally used with reference to batteries, not current.

It sounds like you need a 25Ah 4V lead acid battery. It will be very heavy though, 3.4kg (7 1/2lb) according to the data sheets I could find for batteries of this size. 4V is not a common voltage though. You may need to make if from two 2V cells.
Thanks for that Andy

Yes but the battery would need to be larger to get the same battery life because it would need to store more energy to make up for what s lost in the converter.

25Ah sounds much larger than necessary. Have you simply tried connecting three AA NiMH cells in series to give 3.6V to 4.5V? If that doesn't work, try using C cells and make sure they're real 4000mAh or 4500mAh cells, not just normall AA cells with extra padding.

Yes but the battery would need to be larger to get the same battery life because it would need to store more energy to make up for what s lost in the converter.

25Ah sounds much larger than necessary. Have you simply tried connecting three AA NiMH cells in series to give 3.6V to 4.5V? If that doesn't work, try using C cells and make sure they're real 4000mAh or 4500mAh cells, not just normall AA cells with extra padding.

Hi , I haven't tried anything yet as i needed information on the best way to do it
this is a video clip off Youtube but the guy doesn't explain exactly what and how he came up with it
I hope this posts

thanks andy