Electronics-Lab.com Community

Help with power for sous vide circulation pump

Guest sergeathelab

Guest sergeathelab

Hi!  I built a home sous vide setup for immersion bath cooking of meats in vacuum sealed bags.  Built is a bit of an overstatement....I bought a roaster, a thermal probe, a temp controller, and relay and watched my friend wire it up.  It works like a champ, BUT...there are cold/hot spots which is not good for exact temp cooking.  I suppose that's why the professional models are called immersion CIRCULATORS.  Soooo.....I got a submersible pump, good for high temps, and with some tubing that will solve my problem. 

The pump came without a power supply, so I am looking at all my discarded transformers so see what might spec out.  The instructions for the pump power supply are:

Specification:              Maximum voltage: 12V DC
                                  Maximum current: 380mA
                                  Maximum power:5W

That's what is written on the website where I got the pump.  Based on that, I have a 5VDC 1A power supply that I figured would not work because of the 1A > 380mA.  :-[

However...the pump itself reads:

Input 2.5DC-12V  0.5-5W  with no mention of current restrictions.  ???

Do you think I can use the PS I have?  If not, what's a good (common?) spec to look for?  I have old unused power supplies from networking equipment, power tool chargers, toothbrushes, toys, etc.  Something has to work!

Thanks!

The current is not the proble, it's the voltage. You just need a 12VDC power supply capable of supplying more than 380mA, 500mA or 1A would do. I wouldn't recommend going over a couple of amps unless you add a fuse but that's only in case it develops a fault. You could use a 12V 100A PSU if you wanted but you'd need to fit a 1A fuse to protect the wiring.