Electronics-Lab.com Community

Electrolytic capacitors

Guest Jfcd69

Guest Jfcd69

I am confused, one of the very first things I learned when I started with electronics is to observe the right polarity when using electrolytic capacitors ... Well Following the examples in a electronic lab book (the one by radio shack) i built a very simple oscillator using two nor gates ... It works fine but it bugs me that in the  book example    You have to use one electrolytic capacitor between the output of the first gate and the input of the first gate ( through a resistor obviously) ... I have checked and the voltage across the capacitor reverses polarity...shouldn't it explode or do sth spectacular ... This small issue is really bothering me !!!!! Vmax is around 5 volts and vmin is -2 volts , is it because voltage is small ???? The capacitor seems happy , no problem with overheating , it has not exploded , nothing !!!!!

I would appreciate if Someone out there with a brain could explain to me why my house has not caugh fire yet !!!!!!