Electronics-Lab.com Community

Weirdly functioning guitar buttons...

Guest MonkeyGate

Guest MonkeyGate

heres the jist...

I bought one of those bass guitar kits from ebay.
It doesn't have any instructions so I gleaned all I could from the internet.

There are alot of different ways to wire this 2 pickup, what is called a P-J Bass;

What it is... is a hybrid of the Fender Presicion Bass(P-Bass) and the Fender Jazz Bass(J-Bass). 
The P- uses a positive grounding system that puts the tone before the volume, and does not ground the pots.
The J- uses a negative grounding system that puts the tone after the volume, and grounds everything together.

the J- wiring diagram includes a 2 pickup wiring set, that I thought would work.
the P- wiring diagram does not include a 2 pickup wiring set, and I thought a hybrid of the two would probably work(I have a basic highschool electronics education).

The response was terrible!  The hybrid I drew myself, was the only one that worked at all, the J- doesn't allow the P-volume to work, and the dedicated P-J  standard wiring diagram I found, doesn't allow the J volume to work.

There are 2 volumes, 1 tone, and the two pickups.  The pickups are 2 wire, so the only phase problem is the positive grounding P pickup.....

Challenge!!!!  anybody care to try this one out!!!!
really.... sweat is forming and I considered myself righteously devoted to proper circuit function!

good luck and may the force be with you!

Guest MonkeyGate

I drew up a block diagram for you to look over and see what you think about this before I try it... cause the back of my pots are starting to look like frankensteins monster.But I don't have it uploaded to a server yet.
anyway

vol one is connected all ground connected to the tone at the ground side.
vol two is connected all hot connected to the tone at the hot side.
tone is connected to the outjack at the center terminal, and capped to ground on the ground side, capped across the terminals at the hot side.

How is that?!!?